5 Spring Cleaning Tasks You Don’t Want to Miss
Maintaining a home takes a lot of work so when it comes time to do those spring cleaning and maintenance/repair tasks the list can quickly add up. Before you know it you are getting overwhelmed and feel like you are buried in home maintenance tasks. With a busy schedule, it can be easy to run out of time or just not be able to get to some tasks.
There are some cleaning jobs that make a large impact and not getting to them can make for bigger problems later. These five critical tasks are most important on the long-term maintenance of your home. Make sure not to miss these five spring cleaning jobs and your home will be looking new and refreshed.
Inside and Outside of Windows
Windows play a critical role in the home. They don’t just give us a picture of the outside world they bring in natural light which is an instant mood lifter. Clean and crystal clear windows make a room feel much lighter and brighter.
– wipe down the inside of the window with an up and down motion and wipe down the outside from side to side. Using a different motion on each side lets you know what side the streaks are on if any show up
– make sure to wash the screens and window sill tracks
– freshen up your drapes by placing them in the dryer with a wet towel on fluff dry. The wet towel will attract dust. If you have machine washable drapes go ahead and stick them in a full wash cycle.
-Do a quick wipe down of the blinds by closing them one way and wiping then closing the other way.
Gutters and Downspouts
Living in the rainy pacific northwest, this is a very important task. Clogged gutters and downspouts can cause a lot of damage to a home eventually leading to rot of the siding and more. Large plants sprouting out of gutters are also unsightly and give the impression the home is not well kept.
- Grab a ladder and a leaf blower or a bucket and some gloves. Either blow out or remove debris by hand. Rinse out any remaining debris with the hose and a sprayer attachment.
- While up there be on the lookout for any cracks or leaks especially in the seams.
- Remove old caulking and replace with new to ensure no water is getting behind the gutter to the home.
- Oven: Before turning on the self clean make sure to wipe down any large spills inside to prevent a flare up. If you have a stove that requires manual cleaning you can make a green oven cleaner by mixing baking soda, dish soap, and water into a paste.
- Stove: Replace grimy burner pans with new ones, grab a toothbrush and clean the crevices around buttons and knobs. Finish up with wiping down all surfaces.
- Microwave: Get all the stuck on gunk loosened up by heating water inside for around three minutes. After the water is done there should be a nice layer of steam that has softened everything making it ready to wipe down more easily. If there are odors you can add baking soda or lemon juice to freshen things up.
- Refrigerator: Wipe down every surface inside and out. Replace the baking soda and don’t forget the bottom vent/grill and to pull the fridge and clean behind as well as vacuum the condenser coils at the back.
- Dishwasher: Sprinkle baking soda in the bottom of an empty dishwasher and place a glass measuring cup full of vinegar in the top rack then run the washer on the hottest setting to get the inside clean. Wipe down the door and the sealing tracks with more vinegar.
Read More:Essential oils for Green Cleaning
Over the course of a year these areas get pretty loaded with dust bunnies and other debris.
- Dryer- to help boost drying performance and prevent fires pull the dryer away from the wall and vacuum out the vent hose. Make sure to clean the vent on the outside of the home as well.
- Air filters: remove and replace the filters to your heating and cooling system. A dirty filter can only hold so much and when it is full it is no longer filtering and then the people in the home are breathing dirty air.
- Bathroom Fans: large amounts of dust collect here too. Grab a vacuum and get all those dust bunnies.
- Smoke detectors: while you are getting rid of large dust bunnies, check the smoke detectors for dust as well and replace batteries
Carpets and Upholstery accumulate a large amount of gunk over time even with regular vacuuming. Once a year to get the deep down debris cleaned out of the carpet and upholstery you will want to bring in a professional carpet and upholstery cleaner to get them back to their cleanest clean.