At Home Remedies for Carpet Cleaning
1) Mix 1/4 tsp of translucent liquid dishwashing detergent (Dawn or Joy) into one cup of lukewarm water.
2) Mix one cup of white vinegar with two cups of water.
3) A non acetone nail polish remover OR oil solvent.
For spot cleaning natural fiber carpets: put these solutions(except the solvent one) in a spray bottle and mist them lightly onto the stain.
1) Mix one teaspoon of translucent liquid dishwashing detergent(Dawn or Joy) into one cup of lukewarm water.
2) Mix a quarter cup of white vinegar with 1/4 cup of water.
3) Mix one tablespoon of clear household ammonia with 1/2 cup of lukewarm water.
4) Non acetone nail polish remover
5) Simple Green mixed according to the instructions on the back of the bottle ( This can also be used for synthetic carpets and furniture upholstery).
For homemade solutions to use in a carpet/steam cleaner instead of the commercial cleaner:
1) Use vinegar mixed with water at a 1 to 10 solution. It gets rid of spots that come back to the surface AND cleans the steam cleaner! The vinegar smell will remain until the carpet is completely dry. You may follow up with no vaccuuming foam afterwards.
2) Use lemon scented ammonia ( the same amount that you would use of a carpet cleaner) and open all windows until it dries.
3) Use Simple Green!
4) Use equal amounts of Windex and hot water.
5) Use Tide laundry soap diluted with water.
6) Hot water and oxylcean