Carpet Cleaning Habits that do More Harm than Good
The carpet in your home can last for a long time when cared for properly. There are many things you can do to keep your carpet looking its best and there are many carpet cleaning habits that homeowners often do that cause more harm than good when they are caring for their floors. Here is a list of some things that many people do thinking they are caring for their carpet when it is actually causing harm.
- Scrubbing at stains– it is a natural instinct to want to scrub at a spot on the floor but it will actually cause damage to the carpet fibers. The best way to wipe up or treat a stain is to gently blot starting from the outside and working toward the center instead of jumping right in with aggressive scrubbing.
- Vacuuming too quickly- vacuuming with fast swipes across the floor will leave larger amounts of residue behind to wear down your carpet. The best way to vacuum is with slow methodical rows. Think of it like mowing the lawn you run the machine over a section/row and then slightly overlap to make sure nothing is missed. You also want to put most of the attention on the pulling back motion as that is where most debris gets sucked up.
- Vacuuming with the wrong beater bar setting- make sure you have the right beater bar height for your floor. The wrong setting can cause significant damage and even snagging of your floor.
- Not Vacuuming Enough- the longer you wait between vacuuming the more stuff accumulates in the carpet. Debris in the carpet is like sandpaper against the fibers and the more debris there is in the carpet it is like a larger grit sandpaper wearing fibers down even faster. It is best to vacuum at least once or twice per week depending upon the traffic in your home.
- Not deep Cleaning- it is a huge myth that deep cleaning carpets is overrated. A good deep cleaning is necessary for the life of your floors. Vacuums don’t reach everything and it is imperative to deep clean your carpets at least once a year to keep them in top shape.
- Doing Deep Cleanings Yourself-the DIY movement is strong and a great way to save money in many cases but in the area of carpet deep cleaning professional carpet cleaning is best. It is very easy to make a mistake with rented or home cleaning machines. Many people end up using too much water and seriously damaging the carpet. Also rentable and home cleaning machines do not have the suction power to get your floors their cleanest clean. There are other easy common mistakes that can happen when trying to deep clean the carpet yourself.
The best thing you can do to keep your carpets in their best shape and lasting for years to come is to vacuum properly on a regular basis, clean spills right away with a gentle hand and have them cleaned professionally at least every 12 months.
All Kleen has a team of carpet cleaning pros ready to get our carpets looking great. Make an appointment online.