How to Freshen Up Smelly Carpet
We can all agree that a smelly home is not a happy home. It is amazing how an unpleasant smell can quickly change our mood and have us anxious. All we can think about is how to get rid of the smell and fast.
It is not uncommon for carpet to become smelly for several reasons such as a lack of routine cleaning, a pet accident, or a stain that just won’t go away. So how is one to get rid of funky carpet odor? There are a few quick and easy home remedies that you can put together to have your home smelling fresh again in no time.
Baking Soda and Lavender Essential Oil Treatment
- Mix up half a cup of baking soda with about 30 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Place the mixture in a container that has holes in the lid, like a mason jar with one of those fancy lids or punch holes in the lid on your own. You can also use a spice container or old Parmesan cheese canister.
- Allow the mixture to settle in the container for 24 hours.
- Sprinkle the baking soda and essential oil mixture over the carpet using a light amount. Let the mixture sit on the carpet for around 10 to 15 minutes.
- Vacuum up the baking soda mixture making sure to go slowly and overlap so you don’t miss any. The baking soda should have absorbed anything causing odors and will leave behind the scent of the lavender oil. Now the carpet should be fresh and pleasant smelling again.
- Grab a clean spray bottle and some white distilled vinegar.
- Pour the vinegar into the spray bottle and apply it to the carpet trying not to soak the carpet.
- Don’t worry about the funny vinegar smell it will disappear once the vinegar is dry.
- As the vinegar dries it will absorb and dissolve any germs and bacteria causing odors.
- After the vinegar has dried, if some smell remains apply the treatment again, being careful not to soak the carpet.
Some Tips to Keep Your Home Smelling Fresh 24/7
- Diffuse Essential Oils
A natural, healthy, and lately trendy way to keep your home fresh. Most people use a special diffuser, but if you don’t have one you can dilute essential oils with water and spray them into the air with a spray bottle like an air freshener.
- Grind Citrus Peel in the Garbage Disposal
The garbage disposal is a common source of very unpleasant odors. Just drop a few orange, lemon, lime, or grapefruit peels in to eliminate odors.
- Warm a Baking Soda and Water Solution in a Crock Pot
Crockpots are not just for warming up delicious dinners, you can use them as air fresheners. Throw the ingredients in, turn the crockpot to low, and leave the lid off to keep the air fresh.