One of the best ways to use green cleaning products in your home without breaking the bank is to mix up your own. Essential oils are naturally antibacterial, antiviral, grease cutting powerhouses and they smell great too! No harsh chemicals are breathed in and you may find some of them work better than chemicals do. Ready to turn over a new leaf with this year’s spring cleaning? Start green cleaning with essential oils, you may just fall in love with cleaning.
Here is a list of some of the best essential oils to use for cleaning:
- Lemon-Lemon has long been used in so many commercial household cleaners. Unfortunately the lemon is overly processed or even fake. Lemon is popular because of its light clean energizing scent and toughness on grease and grime. Lemon is naturally antiviral and antibacterial. It can be used to deodorize the fridge, clean floors, or even polish leather and wood.
- Tea Tree- Tea Tree can be used for so so many different things. Tea tree is tough against germs, bacteria, and viruses and because of this it is a great ingredient in homemade hand soap and homemade cleaning wipes. You can use it to make a daily shower spray or to fight bugs. That’s right, bugs do not like tea tree oil. Keep critters away by spraying around the outside perimeter of the house and around the inside as well just add some to a spray bottle with water and go to town. (It is also a great head lice deterrent)You do want to be careful in the use of tea tree around pets and tiny children who put their hands in their mouths.
- Rosemary- Rosemary makes for a great addition to dish soap and laundry detergent with its pleasant smell and antiseptic and antibacterial capabilities. Need help focusing on a task or keeping kids focused? Make an air freshener out of peppermint and rosemary to keep everyone focused.
- Wild Orange- Wild Orange, like lemon, provides an energizing happy scent and is tough on grease and even some hard water. It makes a great ingredient in kitchen cleaners and is great in the bathroom as well.
- Lavender-This is one of the best smelling oils and is very popular for aromatherapy uses. It is so much more than great at creating a pleasant smell, lavender is naturally antibacterial and when paired with white vinegar is great for all purpose cleaning.
- Eucalyptus- A natural germicide, this is a great dust mite defense. Use it along with baking soda to deep clean a mattress or in a dry wash to clean stuffed animals. Eucalyptus leaves placed in cupboards will repel pests.
- Peppermint- Not only does it smell good and help you stay focused and alert, peppermint makes for a great ant and spider repellent. Just mix with water and spray where the little creatures like to hang out.
- Cinnamon Leaf- Cinnamon is antibacterial and antiseptic and a great defense against mold. Ground cinnamon works great against pests, just sprinkle wherever pests pop up. You can also apply cinnamon oil to a cotton ball and leave where pests like to hang.
- Pine- This is the ingredient that made Pine-sol a household name. Pine oil can kill yeast spores, E. coli, and a number of other household germs. Pine is also tough on mold and mildew.
- Thyme- Thyme is salmonella’s enemy. Use it in dish soap and to clean cutting boards especially those used for cutting meat.
For more great green cleaning information please feel free to browse our website. For green professional carpet cleaning make an appointment with All Kleen.