Rust is a stubborn stain to remove. Rust is made up of tiny iron oxide particles and because of this some cleaning solutions can cause a rust stain to embed and set itself in the fibers. With the right tools in your cleaning arsenal you can remove rust stains from your carpets.
You Will Need:
- Blunt Scraping Tool
- Fresh Lemon or Pure Lemon Juice
- Table Salt
- Mild Dishwashing Liquid
- Plenty of Clean White Towels or Paper Towels
- Cleaning Steps
- Take a blunt object such as a spoon or the dull side of a butter knife from the kitchen and gently scrape as much of the tiny rust particles as possible from the carpet.
- Take the fresh lemon or pure lemon juice and apply to the stain so that it is covered completely.
- Sprinkle the salt on top of the lemon juice.
- Allow the lemon juice and salt to sit on the stain for about 24 hours. Apply more lemon juice to keep the spot moist.
- After 24 hours blot the stain with a clean white cloth very gently never rub.
- When no more of the stain is lifting rinse by blotting with cool water.
- If rust remains try using the dishwashing liquid. Mix ¼ teaspoon of dishwashing liquid with one cup of warm water.
- Apply the solution to the rust stain so that it is completely covered and allow to sit on the carpet for five minutes and blot with a clean cloth.
- Rinse the dishwashing liquid solution from the carpet and blot again to dry.
- If the dishwashing solution has not lifted the rust from the carpet mix a solution of 2 tablespoons ammonia and 4 cups of warm water and cover the remaining stain.
- Blot the spot until no more of the stain is lifting from the carpet.
- Rinse the spot with cool water and dry with a clean cloth or paper towel.
Note; It is very important to get the carpet completely dry after removing the stain. The best way to help the spot dry is to lay down a clean cloth or several paper towels and weight them down with books or another heavy object.
If you have tried all three solutions and the rust will just not let go of your carpet it is time to call in a trained professional carpet cleaner.