How to Keep Your Carpet Beautiful During the Holidays
The holiday season, the span from Halloween into New Year’s, brings a marathon of people and parties in and out of your home. With those festivities comes a parade of different spills and stains. From ground in and stuck on candy to soaked in red wine and champagne, there is a right way and a wrong way to treat these stains.
Here are some common mistakes to avoid when treating those holiday mishaps and to help both you and your carpet to survive this busy and fun season:
- Do not over-saturate the stain with cleaning products. Soaking a stain will make it even larger and could get down into the padding causing bigger problems.
- Do not rub the carpet. Rubbing can fray and permanently damage carpet fibers.
- Vacuum up dry items before applying water or cleaning solutions..
Below are some best methods for treating spills and stains:
- First, remove as much of a the spilled item as possible. If it is a dry item, vacuum up as much as you can. If it is semi-solid, very gently scrape or scoop it up with a spoon or dull knife. If it is liquid, take a clean white cloth and blot as much excess moisture as possible.
- When you have finished step one, blot the remaining stain with cool water, and then blot dry.
- Make foam using a mixture of 1/4 teaspoon liquid dishwashing soap in a cup of tepid water and stirring rapidly.. Before applying to a stain, test any cleaning agents in an inconspicuous area of the carpet first to ensure there is no Cole bleeding or damage to fibers. A great test spot would be in a corner or inside a closet.. Once you know the solution is safe for your floor, apply the foam with a sponge or soft brush to the stained area in a wiping motion going toward the center of the spot. Do not start in the center with circular motions or the stain will spread.
- Lastly use a new clean white cloth or unused area of previously used cloth to blot and rinse with cool water, then blot dry.
Most any stain can be cleaned using the above techniques when cleaned right away. For more information on spot removal treatment consult our home remedies page or call us directly we are happy to answer your carpet cleaning questions.
To get you carpet ready for more holiday festivities give us a call. We can get your carpet deep down clean, remove stains, make needed repairs, and even apply stain guard. Make an appointment online right now!